6.03.2011

Food For Thought Friday: Live Like You're LIVING!

It's been a heckuva couple of weeks at the Lindstrom home. Mr. Lindstrom has been working around the clock (putting in about 25 more hours a week than he usually does), and we've been adjusting to a few other household changes. With even the most subtle shifts, I've felt the change like waves crashing, each wave bigger and bigger.  As a mother, you can't quite throw your hands up. You can't say "uncle." You can't walk off the job. Giving into the flight instinct is not an option.

While the waves are crashing, I still have responsibilities beyond the parenting and household management,  I freelance about 20 hours a week from home, I blog, I have three radio shows, and have even committed in the past couple of weeks to doing some fill-in work at the radio station. Last night we were watching the Karate Kid, there's a part where Mr. Miyagi throws Daniel into the ocean, into the waves, to teach him "balance." Never have I felt more akin to Ralph Macchio.  I have been feeling worn down and WAY off kilter trying to figure out the trick to balance in the waves of real life. * I am not unique here, folks. I am not the first nor the last mother to have felt like this. I am not complaining, merely giving you a snapshot to relate to.  

It is no coincidence that I found this article outlining the top five regrets people have on their death bed. No, I'm not dying. I mean, of course I will die, someday, but I'm not going for the morbid here. I have never been a proponent of "living each day like it were your last." I get the idea of it, but I'm not a fan of focusing so strongly on "the end." Instead, I champion living like you're ALIVE!!!!! Remembering the amazing gift you've been given, and LIVING it! I have regrets in life, and I am not a fan of them, so this list got me thinking about how to not have more of them.  Here are the top 5:


1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I didn’t work so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
When I read this, I was near tears at the start of my day. I try to take about 20 minutes to myself in the beginning of the day before everyone's awake. It's my quiet time, the time that I center myself for a day filled with people who need only me, and RIGHT NOW. I was worn down, and dreading the day, while number five stood there staring me in the eye, daring me to smile rather than cry at the stress I was feeling.  I took a look at all that was around me, a house that (while rather messy) I LOVE, a family that I was desperate for, a husband who is working hard around the clock for our family (and at this particular time, in service of people who have experienced real devastation), all the knick knacks and paddy whacks a girl could ever want, and best of all... I AM ALIVE! In short, I have what many wish for. Yes, it is stressful at times, and sure, I have lost a lot of my personal freedom and I miss it sometimes, but I'm ALIVE. Tickin' away here, thinking thoughts, feeling feelings, living a LIFE. How awesome! That's a lot to celebrate.  Instead of feeling like I'm drowning in the waves, what if I am a coal under pressure? I'm going to be a diamond and shine brighter. That's cool!
How are you doing today? Are you living like you're LIVING? When you peek at those top five regrets, what pops out at you? How could you shift your perspective today, so that you feel truly ALIVE? 
** Yesterday we started a blog hop courtesy of my friends at Welcome Baby Care's It's My Baby Blog. We're sharing our best summer memories. It's still going on, and we'd love for you to hop around and share your own summer memories, either by commenting or linking up your own blog! Happy hopping!

 

Food For Thought Friday is brought to you by the amazing folks at Welcome Baby Care. They are THE postpartum and newborn experts. Check out their website, and don’t forget to “like” them on Facebook to take advantage of all their knowledge. Also, be sure to follow babycaretweets on Twitter to receive news and ideas on newborn care and thoughts about parenting!

6 comments:

  1. It's a really great, inspirational list. But I'm having a hard time getting past the giggles inspired by, "Never have I felt more akin to Ralph Macchio." That made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny - I saw at least 5 statuses last night on FB about how they related so much to the Karate Kid's character on some intense level at some point of the movie. I guess I never realized how deep that movie was!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! It's so true - easy for us get so wrapped up and bent out of shape by things that are gifts in disguise. My messy house would be a perfect palace to someone else, so I might as well see it that way, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. It's a good reminder today of all days, because this morning started out really rough for me. I feel much more confident now that the day will only get better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree, Colleen. Life changes a lot for me when I decided I would never get to my death bed wishing I'd spent more time on my career. And by the way, giving in to the flight instinct actually IS an option and a lot of women (tragically) do. The fact that you don't is no small thing and to be commended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am making a HUGE change in my life over this summer. I am getting married and moving about 2 hours away from "home"...the small community where I work, live, and pray. The place where my kids go to school and all our friends are closeby. This has been a decision four years in the making. And I couldn't be happier.

    Of course it is sad to leave, but I know I am not truly saying good bye...we have technology and a stinking car for goodness sake.

    With the move and changes and newness of marriage also is a career change of sorts for me - I am taking a year off of teaching (or more if I can milk it!) to concentrate on nurturing my soon to be FOUR yes, FOUR children, and to help them with the transition to our new lives. and I can't wait.

    I am scared to death. But thrilled to pieces.

    Work can wait a while. My family cannot.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are cool, being mean is not, so please... just don't do it. Hey, thanks!

Have Keeping Her Cool Emailed to you!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Popular Posts